A dental technician is a skilled professional who creates and repairs dental appliances, such as crowns, bridges, dentures, and implants. They work in dental laboratories, following the instructions of dentists to create custom-made restorations that meet the specific needs of each patient.
Dental technicians play an important role in the dental field. They help to ensure that patients receive high-quality dental care by creating restorations that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Here are some of the duties of a dental technician:
- Create dental appliances, such as crowns, bridges, dentures, and implants, according to dentists’ instructions.
- Use a variety of dental materials, such as porcelain, acrylic, and metal, to create restorations.
- Work with dentists to ensure that restorations meet the specific needs of each patient.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest dental technologies and materials.
How to become a Dental Technician in Singapore
- Meet the entry requirements. To be eligible for admission to a dental technician program in Singapore, you must have a high school diploma or equivalent, and you must have taken certain prerequisite courses, such as biology, chemistry, and mathematics.
- Apply to a dental technician program. There are a few dental technician programs offered in Singapore. When applying to programs, be sure to research the curriculum, the faculty, and the location of the program.
- Complete the dental technician program. The dental technician program typically takes two years to complete. During the program, you will learn about the anatomy and physiology of the oral cavity, the fabrication of dental appliances, and the ethics of dental technology.
- Pass the Singapore Dental Technicians Board (SDTB) examination. After graduating from a dental technician program in Singapore, you must pass the SDTB examination in order to be registered to practice. The examination is administered by the SDTB.
- Obtain a registration to practice. Once you have passed the SDTB examination, you must apply for a registration to practice in Singapore. The requirements for obtaining a registration vary from year to year.