A dental hygienist is a licensed oral health professional who provides preventive and therapeutic care to patients. They work alongside dentists to provide a wide range of dental services, including cleanings, exams, x-rays, and education. Dental hygienists play an important role in maintaining the oral health of the population.
- Provide preventive care: Dental hygienists clean teeth, remove plaque and tartar, and polish teeth. They also educate patients on proper oral hygiene techniques.
- Perform diagnostic exams: Dental hygienists examine patients’ teeth and gums for signs of disease. They may also take x-rays to help diagnose problems.
- Provide therapeutic care: Dental hygienists can provide a variety of therapeutic treatments, such as fillings, crowns, and root canals. They can also provide treatment for gum disease.
- Educate patients: Dental hygienists play an important role in educating patients about oral health. They teach patients how to brush and floss properly, and they also discuss the importance of regular dental checkups.
Dental Hygienist in Singapore
- In Singapore, dental hygienists are regulated by the Singapore Dental Council (SDC).
- To be a dental hygienist in Singapore, you must complete a diploma or degree in dental hygiene from an accredited institution.
- You must also pass the SDC’s registration examination.
- Once you are registered with the SDC, you can practice dental hygiene in Singapore.