Here are the steps on how to become a dental assistant: Meet the educational requirements, Get certified, Gain experience and Get licensed.
Obtain at least a secondary level of schooling and complete a certification in dentistry assisting.
Before applying for a position as a Dental Assistant, you should think about getting one year of work experience in a field related to healthcare or administration.
- Meet the educational requirements
- Get certified
- Gain experience
- Get licensed
Here are the qualifications required to become a dental assistant in Singapore:
- Education: You must complete a dental assisting course accredited by the Singapore Dental Council (SDC). These courses typically take around 6-12 months to complete and cover topics such as dental anatomy, infection control, dental materials, and patient care.
- Registration: After completing a dental assisting course, you must register with the SDC. To register, you must pass the National Dental Assisting Examination (NDAE). The NDAE is a two-part exam that tests your knowledge and skills in dental assisting.
- Continuing education: The SDC requires certified dental assistants to complete a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education every two years. Continuing education helps you to stay up-to-date on the latest dental procedures and technologies.
Here are some of the skills that are essential for dental assistants:
- Communication: Dental assistants must be able to communicate effectively with patients, dentists, and other healthcare professionals.
- Attention to detail: Dental assistants must be able to pay attention to detail and follow instructions carefully.
- Teamwork: Dental assistants must be able to work as part of a team and collaborate with others to provide quality care to patients.
- Problem-solving: Dental assistants must be able to identify and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Flexibility: Dental assistants must be able to work flexible hours and be adaptable to change.
If you are interested in a career as a dental assistant, there are many opportunities available in Singapore. Dental assistants work in a variety of settings, including private dental offices, public health clinics, and dental schools. Dental assistants play an important role in the delivery of dental care and are in high demand.